Camera Tracking in Houdini

I know there are software packages out there like Boujou and 3DEqualizer that will do camera tracking, but as a brain exercise I want to see if I can do the tracking in Houdini. One caveat I'm allowing myself is to use Shake to track points in the source image and read those in with chops. But other than that, I want to see if I can do all the tracking in Houdini

I have:

Source HD image sequence with a number of tracked points.

Good models of some objects in the scene for correlation.

What limitations/challenges does the collective odForce brain foresee in this endeavor?

Dave

I know there are software packages out there like Boujou and 3DEqualizer that will do camera tracking, but as a brain exercise I want to see if I can do the tracking in Houdini. One caveat I'm allowing myself is to use Shake to track points in the source image and read those in with chops. But other than that, I want to see if I can do all the tracking in Houdini

I have:

Source HD image sequence with a number of tracked points.

Good models of some objects in the scene for correlation.

What limitations/challenges does the collective odForce brain foresee in this endeavor?

Dave

You can do tracking with Python. You need arrays for that, so VEX is not very helpful here (at least now). Depending on precision and speed your are interested in this can be fairly easy or deadly difficult task. Tracker in Python I did once was slow and inaccurate... still had fun doing it ;).

Today I would skim through Python's scientific libraries. There are plenty modules with AAN and trainable algorithms capable to handle patterns recognitions.

Good luck!

sy.

PS I meant 2d track, 3d matchmoving is definitely something out of my scope ;)

Edited by SYmek