Exploding a Watermelon

Ole

Hi,

Recently I've painted my self into a corner trying to create a believable watermelon explosion. Before I start explaining, please have a look at this inspirational clip:

. What I'm trying to achieve here is the impression of the fluid sticking to the inside shell of the watermelon (creating the orange stuff :) ).

I originally turned to particle fluids, and volumetric fluids, but could not find a way to make the outside surface stick to the inside of the fragments. I've also attached a small illustration of what I'm trying to get at here: rbd_and_fluid.jpg. Basically having the fluid act as an advection field and/or renderable object. If you have a better sollution/suggestion to this please let me know :)

I've also started thinking about having it turned into a combination of a softbody/fluid sim, but the sticking thing is currently preventing me from exploring this properly.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or pointers!

Cheers,

Ole

Just brainstorming a bit after watching the video and in order to give you some options to think about...

On one side you can play with viscosity values and similar stuff in SPH particles being generated from the main "red" shell. I think you might have probably tried this already, and that would be my first course of action so just in case I decided to mention it.

But also watching at your video it looks almost like tendrils of red uh...thingy ;) being getting sticked into the main body. Why not generating some splines from some points on the inside, then using wire dynamics on them and finally applying the particle surface SOP to those (or in a pinch, to particles generated from those dynamic wire-animated splines)?

I think this solution plus SPH particles for the non-sticky parts could give you a very good approach to the problem...

Take a look to these old thread, with a different case studio that might still inspire you a solution

Icky meat/gore

Edited by Netvudu

• 3 weeks later...