Where's the Point Cloud Write vex node?

Nerox

Maybe I'm just stupid but I just can't find the Point Cloud Write vex node. This is a Vop right?

I would like to write a pointcloud to disk, so I'm able to use it in a Vop due to closesest points/ neighbours stuff. But it seems the pcopen needs a pointcloud file, through the forum/help I figured I need a Point Cloud Write node. But for what ever reason I'm not able to find it.

Maybe I'm just stupid but I just can't find the Point Cloud Write vex node. This is a Vop right?

I would like to write a pointcloud to disk, so I'm able to use it in a Vop due to closesest points/ neighbours stuff. But it seems the pcopen needs a pointcloud file, through the forum/help I figured I need a Point Cloud Write node. But for what ever reason I'm not able to find it.

You write your points out in SOPs as either a .pc or .bgeo file and then the PC Open reads that file in. If you are doing the point cloud in anything but a shader context you can also use

op:/obj/geo1/myNode

which will read in the points without having to write them out to disk. If its a shader, then you do have to write your pts out to disk.

You write your points out in SOPs as either a .pc or .bgeo file and then the PC Open reads that file in. If you are doing the point cloud in anything but a shader context you can also use

op:/obj/geo1/myNode

which will read in the points without having to write them out to disk. If its a shader, then you do have to write your pts out to disk.

I got it!

I think I've tried al of these thing but I gues I missed this option ;-).

But apart from that, why is there a Vop described in the help, that it isn't there? Wile there are others (according to the point cloud stuff), that aren't mentioned at all?

Any way, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks SpencerL!

But apart from that, why is there a Vop described in the help, that it isn't there? Wile there are others (according to the point cloud stuff), that aren't mentioned at all?

There is a Point Cloud Write VOP, but it is only available in the shading contexts, not SOPs. This is a wrapper for the pcwrite() VEX function. It lets you write point clouds from inside a shader, and is used heavily by the pyro shader, for example.