Wrap Deformer

Hi all,

I'm writing a more generalised wrap deformer, more generalised than the mean value one that is, the beta of which you can download from the attached. H8 windows only compiled, code is there too if you are interested.

It will use potentially any bit of geometry closed or not to do the deforming, and uses falloff weighting to capture. I think this is roughly what is meant by a wrap deformer in Maya.

The way I've set it up at the moment might seem a little odd, so i'm interested if anyone has any opinions on whether it should be altered.

At the moment I've done it as 3 sops, one to prep the deformer, one to do the capturing and one to do the deforming. Now I could put the prep stage into the capture and deform sops but it some cases this would slow things down a little, not sure yet how much. Also having the prep stage seperate makes the whole thing more flexible in terms of the uses it can be put too.

What I'm wondering then is whether having 3 sops to deal with is too confusing compared to the pay off, in which case I should forget a little about speed and just combine things for simplicity sake.

Any thoughts are appreciated as ever. :)

wrap.zip

To install it if you aren't compiling from scratch make a dso folder in your home directory and copy the .dll files into it. Then just open the hip file.

Ah - it seems like you've forgotten to zip up the header files, master Barrick :)

20756[/snapback]

God damn it! I always leave something out :P

I posted em up when I get home.

Actually I've just been playing with the meta capture/deform sops new to H8, hadn't realised they were there. They pretty much do the same thing as this now, so it might not be worth doing.

The difference being that you have to animate each metaball or group of metaballs, just doing edits on the surface before the metaballs won't have any effect. hmmmm interesting though.

Jason: here's the missing headers

headers.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i've had a bit more of a look at the Sesi meta capture/deform stuff and it is very similar but there are some subtle differences so since I was pretty close to finishing this anyway i've done a bit more tweaking to it so it's 90% done, certainly useable.

If anyone is interested here is a compile and source, hopefully all there...

wrap.zip

Didn't bother with an icon or changing it to only two sops. It might be useful if anyone is trying to build something similar and wants a starting point.

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys,

I've recompiled the odwrap dll's for Houdini 8.2.13, but I'm not sure how to use them correctly.

This is the way I'm using it,

odWrap_capt_beta1

geometry to deform in input 1

driver Rest mesh in input 2... (this is just the polygon mesh I wish to wrap around my deforming geometry?)

|

odWrap_deform_beta1

geometry to deform (the output of odWrap_capt_beta1)

geometry rest driver mesh (the polygon mesh used as input 2 in odWrap_capt_beta1)

deformed driver mesh (a blendshape of the polygon mesh) THEN IT CRASHES

I think my usage of these nodes is wrong, can you explain how to use them correctly?

-Mark

First thing - you might want to go here and get the latest version, it uses a much better algorithm and has ome other tweaks too.

Houdini tools

Basically I'm supporting all my code there now

There is also help and examples for all hdk nodes.

Also odWarp is now SBCcapt SBCdeform and SBCtransfer

That original version didn't have much error checking either. One thing that might have crashed it was if the driver mesh wasn't triangles, the new one doesn't have that limitation.

Edited by sibarrick

• 8 months later...

There's an updated version of the wrap deformer now up on the site, there have been a number of changes but the most important one is that it now optionally uses an orient attribute to do the deforming. This has 2 advantages, first its way quicker (approx 3 times, and uses slightly less memory ) and secondly it can use the orient attribute as created by the attribute orient sop and dops too I believe (not tested yet though)

I also updated the example files one of which was broken...

Edited by sibarrick