slow motion pyro simulation

warlord10x

hey everyone,

I have a problem with slowing down pyro explosions. The explosions are looking like what I want them to but I need to decrease their speed to about half.

The options that we've tried:

(1) changing the scale time variable to 0.5 under the simulation tab of the dopnetwork

- this does not work as it would give me an entirely different simulation, rather than just slowing down the sim

- tested scale time with RBD sims and it worked fine, the simulation just slowed down but reacted the same way when scale time was at a value of 1

(2) using the timewarp node

- this would give me the frame blending problem as it would just use 1 frame and stretch it across 2 to make up for the extra frames, resulting in the result being jerky

(3) rendering the simulation at 48 FPS and then playing back at 24 FPS

- this seems like the only solution now but that would mean rendering double the number of frames and the explosion seems to react different at 48 FPS too, meaning that it does not look the same as when it is at 24 FPS

Please advise.

Thanks.

Hey,

You can get away with using the timewarp by having a slightly modified timeblend node above it in your network.

What you need to do is hop into the timeblend node (which is made to work on geometry), and replace the blendshapes node in there with a volumemix. In the volumemix, set the mix method to blend and put in the same expression the blendshapes node had: ( '$FF-floor($FF)' ) This will essentially give you subframe data for your volume.

This works well enough as long as you're not stretching the time by too much. -jack

• Like 1

Hey,

You can get away with using the timewarp by having a slightly modified timeblend node above it in your network.

What you need to do is hop into the timeblend node (which is made to work on geometry), and replace the blendshapes node in there with a volumemix. In the volumemix, set the mix method to blend and put in the same expression the blendshapes node had: ( '$FF-floor($FF)' ) This will essentially give you subframe data for your volume.

This works well enough as long as you're not stretching the time by too much. -jack

Thanks for the reply.

It seems to work, except for frames 2 and 3 where a weird box would flash when flipbooking the simulation but it seems fine during render.