Culling SPH blobs with low particle density?

mightcouldb1

Haven't been on here in a while... The studio I am at finally got a license of Houdini, so hopefully no more "M" word. :)

I was doing some splashes with SPH and I noticed that SPH fluids tend to clump into small balls of particles that are a bit distracting when they are surfaced. They are blobs of 5-10 particles that I would like to remove but am not sure exactly how to. I can delete these by using manual methods, but I'd like to find a method that is fully procedural if possible.

I was thinking that I could group particles that have less than 10 particles in proximity of one another and then pass that result into a delete node. In theory I think that this is work but I am still relatively new to Houdini and require a bit of a hint. Can someone help me out with this?

Cheers

P.S. While I'm posting this I might as well ask: What Particle Fluid Surface settings do you guys typically use? (i.e. speed stretching, filtering, filter tightness)

They way I always did it was to use a VOP SOP setup that handled the input geo as point cloud and allowed me to sample how far away the Nth particle was. If a point didn't have more than say 5 particles within a certain distance then I would delete it. It's not perfect but it definitely gets bunches of stray particles.

Attached is kind of a crappy example file as my low rez simulation doesn't really run into the problem but it does have a few strays that do get zapped. Since my example sucks I look at only the closest 2 (number of points -1) points and find which of them is the farthest. If that distance is > than some number I specify the point gets deleted. In a real sim you'd probably want the number of points higher and you'd have to figure out a good distance to start culling at.

sph_blob_culling.hipnc

Hey thanks for the response! This is exactly what I was looking for. Everything makes perfect sense to me except for one thing.

In your expression op:`opinputpath("..", 0)`

I understand that opinputpath is telling it to grab the current connected node at index 0, but I am a little confused why you have to write "op:" before it.

I tried to find this in the Houdini docs, but anything with non-alphanumeric characters spits out an error. Where can I find stuff like this in the Houdini docs for future reference(is there an escape function for the help? e.g. "\:")?

The op: syntax allows you to point to an operator when something is expecting a file. In this case the pcopen vop wants to load a .pc file from disk, but using the op: syntax we can get it to look at the geometry that's coming into the node instead. I think it's one of those little gems that is sadly not documented anywhere.