Generic Head

pnoland

I'm pretty new to using Mantra so I wanted to give this project a shot. Initially I was using Modo for this but I really have grown to dislike the material system in Modo. I'm falling in love with Houdini's node based setup even though I'm fairly certain I'm not using it correctly lol

Here's what I have so far using the simple displacement and skin SSS point cloud shaders with a couple area lights with AO

I'm very pleased with how well Mantra renders my Zbrush detail.

houdinihead.jpg

Edited by pnoland

Hi,

modos shader tree was driving me crazy also. They say modo's artist friendly but with complicated setups the shadertree gets totally messy.

The head is nice for a start the forehead is maybe a litte to big. I also renderd a zBrush sculpt in mantra, it works really well. Maybe also take a look here http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=14550

Edited by 0rr

Hi,

modos shader tree was driving me crazy also. They say modo's artist friendly but with complicated setups the shadertree gets totally messy.

The head is nice for a start the forehead is maybe a litte to big. I also renderd a zBrush sculpt in mantra, it works really well. Maybe also take a look here http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=14550

Yeah, for simple things it is pretty easy but once you get into something like this it gets really cluttered and it's easy to screw up your results while scratching your head figuring out what settings or image maps you need to edit. The forehead is a bit large but I have what you could call a fivehead so it's a bit of a self portrait. ;) Thanks for the link!