Reading in and shading .sim files?

domino

Hello,

I am working on a rather heavy dop simulation. I added a fileDop in my AutoDopNetwork and rendered out the sequence to .sim files. My question is now how do I go about reading that .sim information back in and then apply a shader and then render it out? I originally tried to render the dop sim straight from Mantra but it kept freezing at frame 1 so I thought I should go about it the .sim files way.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey Domino

Once you've written out the data using the Ffile DOP, If you set the file DOP Node to Read, it will bring in the .sim files

then you treat it like any DOP Simulation, where you bring in the simulations using the DOP I/O SOP.

I've attached an example DOP.hipnc

Hope this helps

Awesome thats great. Though now my problem is trying to write out the sim info. Keeps jamming 1/2 way through with that annoying memory allocation error. How should I go about getting around this? I am doing a a field of grass with wires in dops and it has to be rather heavy due to the density of the grass.

Hey Domino

if you simming out too disk, and there's no real need to keep the data in memory,

Under the DOP Network, at the object level, or if its a dopnet in sops - on the actual DOPNET

under the Simulation tab, un-tick the cache simulation -> this will basically just produce data per frame and throw the data away straight afterwards.

Hope this works :)

grass jan26.hip

Hi there,

Thank you that was a great help. I exported the simulation to file, grass affected by a tube. The rendered sim data shows only the grass, which is what I wanted, but now that I've brought in the outputted .sim data in a dopimport node but I am getting the grass geo AND the tube geometry. I know the answer is staring me straight in the face, but I can't figure out how to just view the grass. Maybe I've been at my computer too long LOL! File is attached if you want to see what I'm getting at.

Thank you to everyone in advance! This forum is so helpful.

The problem is that in your DOP_IMPORTED_.SIM_info node > dopimport1 node > Object Mask field has a *, which denotes that it wants all the data to be used. If you want the grass only then you need to tell it exactly that. You can do this by using a dopobjscreatedby expression, type in the number of the object, or type in the name of the the actual object:

So in your case:

`dopobjscreatedby("/obj/AutoDopNetwork/grid_object1")`

or 0

or grid_object1

I hope that was clear, if not just ask for further explanation.

HTH

Yup. What wolf said. The only reason to use the `dopobjscreatedby` expression as opposed to the name of the dobject (which is obviously easier to remember) is that using the expression you can change the name of the object at DOPs and the whole thing will still work.