muscle bulge

chovasie

i am trying to learn Houdini's muscle system right now but i cant find much about it.

i'm maya user and i am used to it's muscle system but here things works pretty much different from maya's...

i managed to make multi anchor muscle, make it jiggle.. but i cant make it bulge when muscle contract.

i watched sideFx 2 part muscle tutorial but it's for older Houdini version where he uses "muscle profile" and

then make custom profiles for different poses of muscle... but i cant find such thing in houdini 10 muscles..

what is the right way to make this work?

i also tried with "shoulder muscle" scene from houdini exchange, but i cant see much of bulge there when biceps contracts.

is the right way to use blend nodes and than manualy make connections for those poses, or here is some automatic way

to make poses and than it's calculated by itself like in maya?

btw... in the end of 2nd part of tutorial guy says that he will continue in next part... but i cant find that 3rd part of tutorial..

thanx!

C

Houdini is amazing for this type of stuff because once you've figured it out once, you can compartmentalize your setup into digital assets and use them all over your rig. Here's an example of doing muscle bulging and stretching based on the distance the muscle anchors are from each other. There's lots of ways to set this up, and this is only one solution, so hopefully it will direct you towards coming up with your own solution.

Good luck!

-b

i managed to make multi anchor muscle, make it jiggle.. but i cant make it bulge when muscle contract.

bb_muscle_squash_and_stretch.hip

thanx Brianburke!

that was my question about this problem... i can think about 100 ways to make this work in Houdini. but i was not sure is there some "automatic" way like in maya... where muscle buldge by itself or i need to make some manual way to get it work... with blend poses or something...i'll take a look on your scene now!

tanx!

best regards!

C