Rigid Body Swing Breaks

b_pancakes

I'm trying to simulate a chain swing using rigid bodies, but am having a hard time keeping it from breaking. I've had the substeps jumping all over the place and it still separates on the way down. Does anyone mind looking at this and telling me where they think the problem is? The sim time right now seems a bit ridiculously high but I'm pretty new to all of this.

Ryan

Just wanted to tell you... I tried... and also failed. lol There are a few things that would make your setup a lot easier though... I'll attach my file so you can have a look.

Quick breakdown of making it easier: you did everything manually -- OUCH! That's like... anti-houdini even. :lol: What would make it easier is to take your chain link, and use a copy sop, and distribute the link along a curve. You can get even spacing on the curve using the refine sop, and in the copy sop you can make every other copy rotated 90 degrees with a simple expression $PT * 90. Now that you have X number of Links, you can use the RBD Fractured Object Shelf Tool to make each link an individual rbd... but note it will only show up as one node in your dop network, not 90! (it creates groups instead) Something that helps a lot with dops is the "divisions" parameter inside of the rbd object settings, this tells houdini to make a higher detailed version of the collision geometry. In the case of the chains it helps to up it a little, but I too found that it would break / interpenetrate regardless of subsamples as well. Soo... maybe my sim settings aren't really any better, but at least the setup is easier!

Edit: Oh yeah, i forgot to turn off "mirror constraint" on the two pin constraints that hold the seat to the chains... so it'll freak out right now... not sure the best way to do this to avoid trying to have it use real collision to hold it onto the chains.

Another option would be to use wires for the chains, and wrap the links to the wires... it wouldn't act/react as naturally, but it would probably hold together just fine... so it's something to maybe look into.

--Ian

chain2.hipnc

Edited by Solitude