Group POPs by Volume?

mightcouldb1

I was trying to figure this out by using a VOP POP to load the volume but I couldn't figure out how to check if a particle was inside an area with density greater that 0.

I primarily want to use this to create a Group in POPs that uses some kind of 3D Noise to group the particles.

Any hints?

Thanks!

Jason

if it is just a 3d noise you can just as well use a turbulent noise and do an if statement to check if the return value is higher or lower than a certain treshold value. That would be a lot faster than a volume lookup.

If you have to do it with volumes though, "the volume sample (from file)" and "volume gradient (from file)" are the nodes you will want to use. You use them together with an sdf (that you can generate with the isoofset). The volume sample will return x,0 or -x. -x is inside, 0 is the bound and x is outside. x represents the distance to the bound. (you can use an if statement to specify the treshold for being inside)

The gradient will give you a directional vector pointing towards the closest bound. Have a look through the forum as there are a few posts handling this topic.

There is a file in this thread that shows you how to use some of that stuff: