Applying Object level velocity to a Fluid

tjeeds

Hey y'all,

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to take the velocity from an obj level parented fluid container and apply it's negative in DOPS to fake world space movement in a static simulation. It seems to work well with straight velocity but angular velocity really stuffs me up. I was pretty pumped when i saw the reference frame force DOP, but it has the same issue as my hand rolled version, you see it when the box reverses it's rotation, fluid appears to flow perpendicular to the direction of travel. The idea is to fake a fluid box being attached to a character, amidoinitrong?

Corresponding Side Effect post here:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=18469

referenceFrameForce.hip

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all,

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to take the velocity from an obj level parented fluid container and apply it's negative in DOPS to fake world space movement in a static simulation. It seems to work well with straight velocity but angular velocity really stuffs me up. I was pretty pumped when i saw the reference frame force DOP, but it has the same issue as my hand rolled version, you see it when the box reverses it's rotation, fluid appears to flow perpendicular to the direction of travel. The idea is to fake a fluid box being attached to a character, amidoinitrong?

Corresponding Side Effect post here:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=18469

Maybe the GasResizeFluid DOP is what you want? It allows you to reference an object or a dynamic object. Usually, I'll create a box object, parent it to whatever is moving, then point the GasResizeFluid DOP at it. There's an option for fire, smoke or liquid.

GasResizeFluid.hip

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, do you want the sim to move with the character, or do you want the sim to stay in world space, but follow the character around?