fluid (smoke) emission rate..

redpaw

Ok, so racking my brain here. but short of any custom stuff, is there no way to set the density amount per frame from either a source, or a object.. like say I want to have a large sphere

emit a density of .1 into a smoke box? or a fluid source object , sputtering a noisy density amount into a smoke container? either I'm missing something on the default shelf tools, or

its something i have to code up myself.. any hints?

thanks

johnc

Ok, so racking my brain here. but short of any custom stuff, is there no way to set the density amount per frame from either a source, or a object.. like say I want to have a large sphere

emit a density of .1 into a smoke box? or a fluid source object , sputtering a noisy density amount into a smoke container? either I'm missing something on the default shelf tools, or

its something i have to code up myself.. any hints?

thanks

johnc

I was looking for an emission rate parameter as well but in the end I just used an Empty Object with a SOP Geometry applied to it. Then you can bring in your emission volume from SOPs, which can be of whatever density you make it. If you use a RBD or Static Object as a source I don't know of a way to adjust the density of the volume it creates in DOPs.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere in the help that DOPs will treat a density of 0.5 as full emission, so your SOP volume ranges can be between 0 to 0.5

I was looking for an emission rate parameter as well but in the end I just used an Empty Object with a SOP Geometry applied to it. Then you can bring in your emission volume from SOPs, which can be of whatever density you make it. If you use a RBD or Static Object as a source I don't know of a way to adjust the density of the volume it creates in DOPs.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere in the help that DOPs will treat a density of 0.5 as full emission, so your SOP volume ranges can be between 0 to 0.5

Hmmm, I looked at this again this morning, and it seems the pyro setup uses a multiplier on a subnode inside the pyro solver tool itself, it has a "source density" control which basically

multiplies up the density of the source .. its the gas calculate node called "mix in source density"

I still find it weird that this is the only way to emit a certain amount of density into a fluid grid like this..

I guess I'm gonna start working on writing my own "emitter" setup to do what I want.

anybody else got any ideas.. I will probably be referencing Peter Claes's work as well I'd imagine.

-johnc