Turning off SDF calculation

seth_ro18

Hi,

How can I completely turn off any SDF calculations in my rigid body simulations? I tried turning off "Use Volume Based Collision Detection" for all my RBD objects, but when I try to recook my simulation from frame 1, it gets to around frame 50 and suddenly freezes for a minute with the note, "DOP Network Cook - Calculating SDF." I have a Solver set up that does not need any volume data, so I would prefer it did not take up the extra time. Thanks!

Hi,

How can I completely turn off any SDF calculations in my rigid body simulations? I tried turning off "Use Volume Based Collision Detection" for all my RBD objects, but when I try to recook my simulation from frame 1, it gets to around frame 50 and suddenly freezes for a minute with the note, "DOP Network Cook - Calculating SDF." I have a Solver set up that does not need any volume data, so I would prefer it did not take up the extra time. Thanks!

Do you have a file to check out? Also, I'm curious why you won't want the volume based collisions?

GW

I'm using the Bullet solver, which does not need the SDF information. (I assume other solvers like ODE also do not need it?)

I'm attaching an example file. I changed it back to use Houdini's RBD Solver, for simplicity sake. You'll notice the simulation still slows down each frame starting at frame 50, I assume for the same reason (calculating SDF, though that particular message does not show up in the message bar now due to another message from the new solver). Also, my original number of simulated objects was much larger, so the simulation time change was much more noticeable.

Thanks!