Adaptive Subsampling, octrees, what's it called?

Hi.

I was working with composite ODE objects the other day and though, wouldn't it be nice to have a tool that breaks an object up into boxes that roughly approximate its shape. Like there would be a bounding box around the center of mass, then smaller boxes around appendages and features.

There's got to be a procedural way to look at an object and do a complex bounding box operation on it, the end result of which is a bunch of boxes that can then be baked into a composite ODE object, or used as fluid boxes, or similar.

I'm not sure what the technical term for this technique is, but it seems related to octrees, and adaptive subsampling.

Any ideas?

In a non-adaptive way this sounds like marching cubes. Maybe some clever work with For Each doing various levels of sampling with the the Iso Offset Sop in Tetra Mesh/Tetra Solid mode could give you something similar to what you're talking about?

Hi.

I was working with composite ODE objects the other day and though, wouldn't it be nice to have a tool that breaks an object up into boxes that roughly approximate its shape. Like there would be a bounding box around the center of mass, then smaller boxes around appendages and features.

There's got to be a procedural way to look at an object and do a complex bounding box operation on it, the end result of which is a bunch of boxes that can then be baked into a composite ODE object, or used as fluid boxes, or similar.

I'm not sure what the technical term for this technique is, but it seems related to octrees, and adaptive subsampling.

Any ideas?