Upres Cloth Simulation

bandini

Hi,

Is there any way to upres a cloth simulation like you can in pyro?

I have a low resolution simulation, and I like the general motion of it. I would like that to drive a high resolution version of the mesh, but also be able to add more detail to it like you can with the pyro tools.

Right now I am importing a subdivided version of the low res sim into DOPS and using SBD pin constraints (constraining my high-res cloth to the low res sim) to move the cloth around, adding a noise field to put in more details. I'm wondering if there is a better way.

I have to move my cloth in a very specific manner, and follow pretty tight timings - it is just too time consuming to get right with a high res sim, and simply doing a low res sim and then upping the detail of my mesh and re-simulating produces pretty different results.

Edited by bandini

If you import your low-res cloth into SOPs and subdivide it, you could always use VOPs to move around the points with some kind of noise. Although it wouldn't be as accurate as a high res sim, you might get the look you are going for.

Just a thought!

Jason

Thanks for the suggestion Jason. I've been trying that, also. In some cases it is acceptable, but there is no way that I know of to prevent self intersection that way, and it not exactly dynamic. I was also looking at the spring SOP to add some more dynamics, but it doesn't seem so good for this either. I'm going to look into putting the points through CHOPS for some additional dynamics. I have a lot to figure out there - I'm not too comfortable with CHOPS yet.

-Adam

You could try raysop with a maximum distance to post-fix intersections, then fix remaining ones using edits and blendshapes....that's what you call finalling..i have been doing that many times before and it is not that big of a deal..

Thanks for the suggestion Jason. I've been trying that, also. In some cases it is acceptable, but there is no way that I know of to prevent self intersection that way, and it not exactly dynamic. I was also looking at the spring SOP to add some more dynamics, but it doesn't seem so good for this either. I'm going to look into putting the points through CHOPS for some additional dynamics. I have a lot to figure out there - I'm not too comfortable with CHOPS yet.

-Adam