General (hand written) VEX Workflow

rabidpraxis

Ok, so this question has been plaguing my mind for a while now, and I have yet to see a good resource for it. What is a good workflow for creating custom written vex nodes? I am not talking about inside vex builder. The only workflow I have seen so far is to create a new VEX Operator Type, save it to your library, then add it to your network, and use the type properties window to edit the code. (by the way, I am looking at VEX from a POP context only)

This can't be the preferred way to write custom vex nodes. I am on OS X so right now the edit with external editor is not working. But even so, I would like to hear from people that are using Houdini professionally (or not) about what their workflow is for getting their hands dirty in VEX code.

Thanks,

Kevin

Ok, so this question has been plaguing my mind for a while now, and I have yet to see a good resource for it. What is a good workflow for creating custom written vex nodes? I am not talking about inside vex builder. The only workflow I have seen so far is to create a new VEX Operator Type, save it to your library, then add it to your network, and use the type properties window to edit the code. (by the way, I am looking at VEX from a POP context only)

This can't be the preferred way to write custom vex nodes. I am on OS X so right now the edit with external editor is not working. But even so, I would like to hear from people that are using Houdini professionally (or not) about what their workflow is for getting their hands dirty in VEX code.

Thanks,

Kevin

My workflow is to:

1) Edit the .vfl code using VIM: "vim foo.vfl"

2) Run "vcc -l foo.otl foo.vfl"

This will generate an .otl file called foo.otl which can be loaded up

into Houdini as an operator.

For quick testing I sometimes just use the "VEX POP/SOP" which allows

me to enter the command line (like a shader string). But that's only

for very quick & dirty testing, nothing that I'd use in production.