Dynamic Point Groups and SBD Pin

bandini

I'm trying to figure out how to dynamically add and subtract points from the SBD Pin or Spring constraints using cloth. I have gone in and hacked the asset to enable evaluation every frame, but the constraint does not seem to update. Any ideas?

The other thing I have noticed with SBD spring is that if I have many points pinned with the constraint, and I want to enable breaking of the constraint using a maximum force or length is that when one spring exceeds the threshold they all break. Any way to get it so that each spring makes its own evaluation of when it should break?

Should add that it seems to work when animating the point group in DOPS, but not when that group is set up through sops. I have enabled the options in the cloth solver to support topology changes and also tried the pin to animation option, which seems to update the constrained points but not the constrained-to points.

I was able to solve my problem through some other means, but I would still like to find an answer to the questions I posed.

In the meantime, here's a sample movie of the effect I was trying to achieve:

ClothErode_Test_01.mov

This is done through SOPS with the spring sop.

More research showed that I can do this through DOPS by putting a pintoanimation point attribute on my geo in SOPS and animating the value. Funny thing is that when you do that you do not need to use a cloth constraint at all in DOPS.

And this is how it looks when the effect is done in DOPS with the cloth solver, which I think looks more natural. Had to stop the sim short of the last one because the solver was not too happy for some reason and sim times skyrocketed from a couple seconds a frame to a few minutes.

ClothErode_Test_02.mov