A Water object

Hi,

I am trying to simulate a necklace flowing through water getting caught on something and finally falling hitting the sea bed.

Q1. How can i make the necklace flexable ? I am trying to use wire object atm.

Q2. Is there a way to put weight on the points so one end falls faster ?

Q3. with the wire object used for the chain of the necklace is there a way to stop it flattening itself as it hits the static object ?

If someone can put me in the right direction i would be grateful.

Lyonz

Water Object.hipnc

Edited by Lyonz

It may be possible to attach the jewels with a constraint. The constraint can then break when a certain value is exceeded.

I tried a setup with Apply Relationship DOP but I am having trouble getting it to work.

If any DOP expert wants to have a look at it! Please! (I'm going crazy)

contstraint_neclace.hipnc

post-4013-12768452104_thumb.jpg

Edited by Macha

Solved, but it needs tweaking. (the jewels collide with the wire, which means that at the moment where the constraint breaks there is a risk of the jewels jumping away suddenly. Don't know yet how to get rid of it)

Edit: A bit of relationship reordering in the merge DOP will get rid of it.

contstraint_neclace.hipnc

Edited by Macha

Solved, but it needs tweaking. (the jewels collide with the wire, which means that at the moment where the constraint breaks there is a risk of the jewels jumping away suddenly. Don't know yet how to get rid of it)

Edit: A bit of relationship reordering in the merge DOP will get rid of it.

Thanks for your reply,

Q1. Is there a way to weight the points on the necklace, so one end will fall faster than the other?

Lyonz

Edited by Lyonz

I have attached a more upto date file think the other ones were more complicated.

I have looked through your file and see your using a simple circle as the chain for the necklace, is there a way to simulate a simple circle then add thickness to it ? so it follows the same path. (This would increase simulation time).

with the chain as a wire object is there a way to stop it flattening itself as it hits the static object ? so it only moves and doesnt change shape.

Lastly is there a way to put weight on the points so one end falls faster ?

Im wondering if it could help in someway to duplicate the jewels rather than copying them to points. Also looking at contraints atm.

Lyonz

Necklace example.hipnc

Edited by Lyonz

I have looked through your file and see your using a simple circle as the chain for the necklace, is there a way to simulate a simple circle then add thickness to it ?

[...]

Lastly is there a way to put weight on the points so one end falls faster ?

[...]

Im wondering if it could help in someway to duplicate the jewels rather than copying them to points. Also looking at contraints atm.

[...]

but still wondering how to link rbd objects to a wire object ?

The last file I posted does exactly these things but you may have to tweak parameters to the see effects more clearly.

Actually, thinking about it you could also go the other way around: First make your jewels and the connected them via spring constraints with fixed length. This would avoid the slightly awkward wire-constraint-rbd solution. You'd still have to use the complicated constraint setup though and extracting the curve of the necklace out of it may be cumbersome, especially if the chain breaks. However, the hole thing may be more elegant and stable if you don't want things to break too much.

Edited by Macha

Actually, thinking about it you could also go the other way around: First make your jewels and the connected them via spring constraints with fixed length. This would avoid the slightly awkward wire-constraint-rbd solution. You'd still have to use the complicated constraint setup though and extracting the curve of the necklace out of it may be cumbersome, especially if the chain breaks. However, the hole thing may be more elegant and stable if you don't want things to break too much.

I think i have managed to create a simpler version yet the jewels are not Rigid objects. I have noticed in your example the jewels fall through the floor is there a way to stop this happening ?

untitled.mov

Edited by Lyonz

This is the most simplistic file i have made, i am now using an object merge to import the jewels and wondering why the polyframe tool in the necklace sop is not working now, to line up the jewels along the necklace ? The other way was by completely duplicating the necklace sop and using the polyframe followed by copying the objects to points, this worked to change the direction of the normal.

I am also thinking with this file i could get away with the jewels not needing to interact with the floor as it is not that noticable. Yet i am still lost as to how to connect a rbd object to a wire object if i really needed to ? I understand how to connect wire and cloth with goal object parameters is there a similar way with rbd and wire ?

I have looked through the constraint necklace file and wondering why a rbdfracture is used rather than a normal rbd object? And why a constraint anchor can not keep the jewels to the points there given even if the geometery is deformed.

I appreciate all the advice as houdini seems to be like a ocean of things to learn.

Lyonz

RBD and Wire Help.hipnc