odd - technical problem

Hello forum,

I am facing a array of problems with Houdini, completely out of the blue.

Houdini was installed in my machine (windows 7, 32bit) few months ago and it was running without any problem, until last week.

It was already open at the time where I tried to open another session but nothing. I closed the one was already open and tried again, but nothing. Here is the odd, in the task manager the 2 processes of Houdini which I tried to open was running but there was nothing on the desktop.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled then another problem came for first time, which was related with the gfont.exe which didn't let my installation to be complete, without some error message.

I skipped the problem by ending the process of gfont.exe and then the installation was completed.

But again the first problem was here, with all the applications of houdini (image viewer, geometry viewer, command line tools, license administrator etc.) the processes running but nothing on the desktop, not even an error.

Then I realized that the preferences directory (Houdini10.0), which supposed to be in my documents, is missing. Every time where I am reinstalling Houdini, this directory is missing.

I cant say if there is any link between those problems. Nothing changed to my computer, Houdini used to work fine in my computer without error or any kind of problem. It drives me crazy.

I have tried to delete any reference to Houdini manual (temp, registry), nothing!!!

Does anyone have any idea what that can be?

thanks,

Christos

p.s. I posted the problem to Side Effects forum but with 317 views, nobody was able to help me so far.... :(

Edited by cparliaros

Have you tried reinstalling as Administrator?

I know Win7 has a bunch of permission "features" that might block certain things being installed, if they are not made from administrator.

Since the houdini10.0 is usually created when you install it, as it's where you preferences are stored, I'm thinking there might be some sort of permissions error.

Have you tried reinstalling as Administrator?

I know Win7 has a bunch of permission "features" that might block certain things being installed, if they are not made from administrator.

Since the houdini10.0 is usually created when you install it, as it's where you preferences are stored, I'm thinking there might be some sort of permissions error.

thanks for your reply Ratman, I know that windows 7 has a bunch of permission "features", because of that I am always installation as administrator.

But the funny thing is that Houdini used to be proper installed in my computer (for nearly 8 months) and it was working juts fine, at the time where i faced the first problem (process runs, nothing on desktop).

Then all the other problems came after. Maybe there is a link between them, maybe not. I really don't know.