particle illumination

tc_trent

i am trying to create a fireworks effect. my question is not how to set up the pop network, i already know how to do that. but i don't know how to get my particles to illuminate the scene. i belive what i need to look into is point cloud lighting, but i don't really know much about it and i can't seem to find anything about it on the internet.

if anyone knows how to get particles to emit light or could at least point me in the right direction it would be greatlly appreciated. thank you

Well it´s quite easy with point instancing. You have to create a instance object in the scene. Go inside and merge or copy the particles there. From the parameters of the instance activate point instancing and select a light you have in the scene, it´s important to have the liqht with no transformation and the light enabled toggle swiched of. (This is because you only want the lights on the particles and not the original light you are instancing that is in the origin.

The other thing is that normally you need some attenuation for the light you are instancing. if you don´t you will have the scene extra bright because of the sum of all lights.

Well it´s quite easy with point instancing. You have to create a instance object in the scene. Go inside and merge or copy the particles there. From the parameters of the instance activate point instancing and select a light you have in the scene, it´s important to have the liqht with no transformation and the light enabled toggle swiched of. (This is because you only want the lights on the particles and not the original light you are instancing that is in the origin.

The other thing is that normally you need some attenuation for the light you are instancing. if you don´t you will have the scene extra bright because of the sum of all lights.

hi thanks for the response. what is the attenuation, what does that do. how do i get the color of the particles to transfer to the instanced lights. right now it just looks like a bunch of white light in my scene. i want to make it look like the particles are glowing and light is emiting from them. is this something i have to do in compositing on is it some type of volumetric effect?

To pick up the particle colors, just use the intancepoint() expression inside of a point() expression for each of the instance light's rgb parameters.

Oh and instead of using an isntance object, you can add the instance parameters using the Edit Rendering Parameters from the gear menu, type instance in the left bottom column then select the entire instance folder and press the arrow button to promote to the object.

See the attached file.

fireworks_instance_lights.hip

To pick up the particle colors, just use the intancepoint() expression inside of a point() expression for each of the instance light's rgb parameters.

Oh and instead of using an isntance object, you can add the instance parameters using the Edit Rendering Parameters from the gear menu, type instance in the left bottom column then select the entire instance folder and press the arrow button to promote to the object.

See the attached file.

ok I was able to pass the color of my particles to instanced lights. but i want my particles to glow like hot sparks. is there a way to do this at render time or is this something i have to do in compositing?