adding secondary noise to introduce irregularity on particles?

Guest ravin

I am attaching a file where I have particles being attracted by a metaball force. The particles tend to follow a perfect shape which is certainly not what I want. How can I introduce some variations to add some irregularity on the edges and make it look less perfect and feel more organic?

thanks,

noise2Particles.hip

If you replace the word "noise" in your question by "motion" then I think the answer to your question can be found in my answer to a previous post by you here:

Hey Macha,

I tried that technique and didn't get the results I was looking for. That post has been inactive since a long time so I was thinking if someone had any other techniques. Sometimes the techniques don't work and you need to look for new ones. It's no harm trying to seek more suggestions. It might help other's too.

I was playing with some forces and this might help you in terms of particle forces.

(this is copied from the stickies inside):

mapping forces to colors is fun and easy to visualize, but can be limited because you only use 3 colors. If you need to map more forces you can create more custom attributes that are variations of $LIFE refitted, or some distance calculation, or $T, or events/triggers.

You could use groups, but those are hard 1-0 switches, you generally get much richer behaviour if you use gradients (this is where the "fuzz" comes in). In this case there is an exponential gradient based on distance to line inside of the contain_red_force_distance_based vop pop.

Particles and exponetial forces mix well, so you will often see:

force_x^2

or something similar in vops.

Using the blue force to inverse the effect of the attractor to reverse the particles. This will slow them down,without dragging them so the red force can pick up again (set the switch to 1). You can cancel forces out this way.

noise2Particles_02.hip

I was playing with some forces and this might help you in terms of particle forces.

(this is copied from the stickies inside):

mapping forces to colors is fun and easy to visualize, but can be limited because you only use 3 colors. If you need to map more forces you can create more custom attributes that are variations of $LIFE refitted, or some distance calculation, or $T, or events/triggers.

You could use groups, but those are hard 1-0 switches, you generally get much richer behaviour if you use gradients (this is where the "fuzz" comes in). In this case there is an exponential gradient based on distance to line inside of the contain_red_force_distance_based vop pop.

Particles and exponetial forces mix well, so you will often see:

force_x^2

or something similar in vops.

Using the blue force to inverse the effect of the attractor to reverse the particles. This will slow them down,without dragging them so the red force can pick up again (set the switch to 1). You can cancel forces out this way.

Thanks,

It's a nice technique and serves its purpose.