Particle fluids not sticking

JaydenDP

Hi there,

Just trying to get my head around Houdini's particle fluids for the last few days. I've done a bit of work with maya's nparticles and realflow, but really want to start using houdini for this instead.

One of the things I need to do now is get the SPH particles to really "stick" to a wall when I shoot them into it, but nothing seems to work, friction huge and all that but they just wont stick!

Any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers

Jay

I think you might have to deactivate the particles after collision with the walls to fake it sticking. I don't think fraction alone will cause a particle stick.

Friction will slow a particle down when sliding on a surface, as long as those two surfaces have a friction value greater then zero, but it will not prevent other forces from taking the particle away from the wall (i.e. bouncing, gravity).

Edited by hopbin9

I think you might have to deactivate the particles after collision with the walls to fake it sticking. I don't think fraction alone will cause a particle stick.

Friction will slow a particle down when sliding on a surface, as long as those two surfaces have a friction value greater then zero, but it will not prevent other forces from taking the particle away from the wall (i.e. bouncing, gravity).

Thanks for the reply :) Hmm, yeah thats not really going to work for me, because ultimately I want to control how they would slide down the wall. I.e the fluid hits the wall, and then sticks and slowly slides down to form a puddle on the floor, so I still want to maintain the SPH simulation. Really just need some way of affecting the way the relationship between the collision object and particles behaves.

So, even with the wall and the particles having a friction above 1, the particles still won't slowly slide down the wall slowly, they just fall like normal, even though they are connecting and there's no bouncing etc. :( anyone else have any ideas for controlling this kind of thing with SPH?

In, maya its not a problem,

i just slide the friction and "stickiness" up and the particles really stick to the wall, just cant work out what im missing in the houdini DOP

So, even with the wall and the particles having a friction above 1, the particles still won't slowly slide down the wall slowly, they just fall like normal, even though they are connecting and there's no bouncing etc. :(

Well, the problem is thinking that they would be connected. There is no spring force attaching them to the wall.

Again, I haven't worked with particle fluids (yet), but for regular particles. You could assign particles to a new group after they collide with the wall, and then apply a force to push them against the wall. This will help make them slide down slowly.