breaking/cutting/gluing wires dynamically together

jhiggins

Does anyone have any experience breaking or cutting or gluing wires in a DOPs sim?

If so, I'm curious on an how to approach doing this.

Right now I can create my wires, constrain them how i like and have them self collide and move with some success.

But what I would like to do is have them stick together on self collisions and have them separate/break on object to wire collisions.

I'ts like a tearable mesh (nCloth) approach to wires, but I don't want to use maya and i don't want to use cloth in houdini and stick to wires (if possible)!

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff

Vell, if it issn't Jeffrey Charles Higgins. If you vant to glue ze vires togezah you must look at zis thread:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=18935

I just had to do this, the Apply Relationship DOP is a beast but it's sooper pow'rful. It takes a bit of doing to get the setup going but once it's going it'll be fast and beautiful. I took the approach of a SOP that builds strands of wires together and applied point attributes that carried all the constraint info into DOPS, the internal force attribute that you can enable on the wire solver can function as a breaking cue for your constraints. The examples in that thread are really well done and you should be able to figure it out after a bit of fuckery.

cool... i'll giver a go tomorrow! thanks homey!

i mean das iz vunderbar! dzi vires will be zupa guile

j.

Vell, if it issn't Jeffrey Charles Higgins. If you vant to glue ze vires togezah you must look at zis thread:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=18935

I just had to do this, the Apply Relationship DOP is a beast but it's sooper pow'rful. It takes a bit of doing to get the setup going but once it's going it'll be fast and beautiful. I took the approach of a SOP that builds strands of wires together and applied point attributes that carried all the constraint info into DOPS, the internal force attribute that you can enable on the wire solver can function as a breaking cue for your constraints. The examples in that thread are really well done and you should be able to figure it out after a bit of fuckery.