Render Passes & Takes

Hi all,

When creating image planes is there a way to disable the C plane as this renders the entire scene when all i need is the image planes ?

Lyonz

You have to render the entire scene to store the extra image planes. They are just a component of the final calculation.

You have to render the entire scene to store the extra image planes. They are just a component of the final calculation.

Yes I understand but is there a way to only render the image planes ? As otherwise was going to create separate takes for each.

Thanks

Yes I understand but is there a way to only render the image planes ? As otherwise was going to create separate takes for each.

Yes you can, well, sort of.

You want to write the main image out to a NULL device, but enable saving to disk for the image plans.

On the Windows OS you can save the image as "nul", and on Linux you can save it as "/dev/null". Don't define the file extension, but select something in the Output Device (like JPEG for example).

Mantra will generate an error when trying to save the image (can't close output file). So if your using a render farm manager, then you'll want to disable aborting on errors. Otherwise, Mantra will continue as normal.

For each image plane, you need to enable the "Different File" option and save the image plane to it's own file.

That's the best solution that I can think of.

• 2 months later...