First-Timer Questions

Matt-N

Hello guys

I'm a long-time Max user, but have decided to create my next project in Houdini. I want to use Houdini for everything, as the procedural interface is amazing.

To help me get started though, I need to know:

-Is there a way of snapping and 'sliding' a point along its associated edge while editing the mesh, like in Max?

-How do I extrude a face along a curve?

-Is there a workflow tutorial for using ZBrush/Mudbox with Houdini? It's involved enough with Mudbox > Max - I wouldn't have a clue where to start with displacement attributes in Houdini.

-Keeping with displacements, does Houdini treat its UV smoothing algorithm like Maya or Max? Maya > Mudbox > Maya is fine, as they use the same algorithm, but Max requires more annoying steps.

I really would appreciate some advice.

Thank you.

I'm a long time Max user myself (10+ years), and found the transition from Max to Houdini very painful. Once completed, I don't think I'll be going back to Max anytime soon ;)

-Is there a way of snapping and 'sliding' a point along its associated edge while editing the mesh, like in Max?

No idea. I find Houdini's polygon modeling tools very primitive. In this area, if your modeling something complex. Then I'd do it in Max and export an OBJ into Houdini. Most of the modeling I do in Houdini are things that I can't model in Max, but are more procedural in nature.

-How do I extrude a face along a curve?

You'd convert the edges of the face to a spline and then Sweep it along the curve.

-Is there a workflow tutorial for using ZBrush/Mudbox with Houdini? It's involved enough with Mudbox > Max - I wouldn't have a clue where to start with displacement attributes in Houdini.

Houdini's mantra handles displacements a lot better then Max, but I haven't done any ZBrush work with it yet. It's on my to-do list for learning.

-Keeping with displacements, does Houdini treat its UV smoothing algorithm like Maya or Max? Maya > Mudbox > Maya is fine, as they use the same algorithm, but Max requires more annoying steps.

Not sure I understand the question, but you can smooth UV independently from the mesh.