Substepping DOPs without the "substep" attr, but simming with

Akabane

Hey guys, let's say I have a RBD sim in DOPs and I want to use substepping for that.

But instead of using the builtin substepping stuff, I'd like to use a floating frame simulation time instead of a integer.

Example; instead of setting 20 substeps, I'd like to simulate with an advancing frame of 0.05 with a substepping of 1.

Right now, if I set the timeline to advance in steps of 0.05, it is still simulating for each integer frame, and just interpolates from a frame to another.

Is there any specific procedure to achieve this?

And, remaining in topic, when I do this, the $T and $ST remain the same right?

I don't know where you are setting the sub-stepping but it sounds like you are over-complicating things.

If you want to change the global sub-stepping of the DOP simulation, you do that on the top level DOP Network node's Sub Steps parameter.

The Time Step parameter is set up to do one frame per second and then the Sub Step parameter is provided as a convenient way of dicing up this further in to sub-frame steps.

If you want 0.05 steps per frame, then set the Sub Steps parameter to 20.

Now when you scrub the playbar with non-integer playbar increment set to 0.05, then you will see the rbd simulation move forward per step.

As for $T and $ST being the same, don't assume that at all. The DOP simulation may have to march back in time to resolve some dependencies and then march forward again. $ST increments upward whether the sim moves forward or has to backtrack in time. $T may equal $ST initially but as the simulation progresses, it may not.

$ST is used when caching DOP simulation data (.sim and .simdata) files to disk so that they properly interleave with the simulation progress. Use $T elsewhere.

Thanks guys.

Yes I was overcomplicating things actually.

I was using the RBD Solver substepping instead of the general DOP one, this is why when I changed the timestep to 0.05 I was just getting interpolated results.

Changing the whole DOP substepping to 20 did the job.

Cheers! :D