render volume with 3delight

rendering houdini volumes is possible with 3delight. you can output a point cloud file of your volume (hbrickmap -p) and raymarch through it doing texture3d() calls along the way to lookup the volume. i have used this technique to render fluid sims from houdini with earlier versions of prman (before the new prman 15 brickmap volume stuff) and it works ok.

edit: p.s. i would not recommend this. the mantra volume rendering stuff is so good and fast, i can't imagine any benefits you would get from running this through 3dl. if its a question of holdouts, I feel as though you would be much better off spending the time you would have spent setting up the h->3dl volume rendering pipeline to rather set up a way of holding out your volumes with dsms from 3dl.

just my 2c.

Edited by brianburke

rendering houdini volumes is possible with 3delight. you can output a point cloud file of your volume (hbrickmap -p) and raymarch through it doing texture3d() calls along the way to lookup the volume. i have used this technique to render fluid sims from houdini with earlier versions of prman (before the new prman 15 brickmap volume stuff) and it works ok.

edit: p.s. i would not recommend this. the mantra volume rendering stuff is so good and fast, i can't imagine any benefits you would get from running this through 3dl. if its a question of holdouts, I feel as though you would be much better off spending the time you would have spent setting up the h->3dl volume rendering pipeline to rather set up a way of holding out your volumes with dsms from 3dl.

just my 2c.

ok thank you for your reply , i found in the shop's Lighting Model there is Iostropic Volume model, so i just think maybe it can render volume only by shop setting! and thank you for you suggesting ! :)

• 2 weeks later...

sure rendering volume with mantra is nice, i just want to know can 3delight render volume like pyro smoke and so on.

i have tried again and again, never succeed, can you add a hip file with a volum shop?

We have a very fast DSO to render volumes for 3Delight (and PRMan), called Floyd. It currently supports Maya fluid caches but we could extend it to handle PTCs and Houdini volume caches as well.

If there was a client asking for it. If you could be interested in that, prank me here. :)

.mm