Houdini vs Maya

qwerty

I will answer your question if you answer mine first. Which wrench is better... a number 21 wrench or a number 22 wrench? An open wrench or a closed wrench?

I must explain some more: I am interested in dedicating a large amount of time in studying one of these packages. The thing is, I don't want to find out, someday, that "something" I need in my chosen program (be it Maya or Houdini) just isn't there.

I don't mean complex things (compositing, realistic particles, networking). I mean, for example one day I want to animate something and find out the software doesn't have IK. What do I do then?

Therefore I put the question to you, who have extensively used the program, in hopes that you can advise me.

Edited by qwerty

I must explain some more: I am interested in dedicating a large amount of time in studying one of these packages. The thing is, I don't want to find out, someday, that "something" I need in my chosen program (be it Maya or Houdini) just isn't there.

I don't mean complex things (compositing, realistic particles, networking). I mean, for example one day I want to animate something and find out the software doesn't have IK. What do I do then?

Therefore I put the question to you, who have extensively used the program, in hopes that you can advise me.

I don't think you will find something "that is not there" anywhere in the future in either program as both programs are absolute top level packages. I would advise you to spend some little fraction of the large amount of time you are willing to invest in just roaming the maya and houdini forums and to see some basic tutorials for both programs. This way you will get a better understanding of the differences (and the things that are very much alike). Then choose one and invest 2/3 of your time learning this program and 1/3 to learn the other. In vfx it will do you no good to concentrate on one software and exclude the others. Learning multiple programs (2 in this case) will feel like a lot more to do but it will pay off in the long run. You will gain a better understanding of both and vfx in general (which is very important). There is always more than one way to solve a problem and always more than one program that will suit your needs.

Edited by Lutze

@Lutze:

Maybe I can get an opinion to my original question by breaking it down.

What is better, Houdini or Maya, for:

- ease-of-use for beginners?

- modeling?

- animation?

- visual fx?

- particle fx?

- scripting language capability?

- usage in the CGI/movie industry?

- ease-of-use for beginners?

Neither, if you want something easy for beginners go with Cinema4d.

The concepts taught for Maya are more common in 3D applications. Things you learn in Houdini will only apply to Houdini. It's a unique approach to 3D.

- modeling?

Neither, while Maya has more traditional tools for modelling that Houdini lacks. Houdini has a procedural approach that is unique letting you model things that Maya can't. But, people don't learn these tools to be known for their modeling skills. If you want to impress people with your modeling abilities. Learn ZBrush.

- animation?

Depends on what kind of animation we're talking about. If your doing VFX or abstract, then Houdini, but if most of the project involves just animation then Maya.

- visual fx?

No contest. Houdini.

- particle fx?

No contest. Houdini.

- scripting language capability?

No contest. Houdini.

- usage in the CGI/movie industry?

The tool that is more widely used is Maya, but the tool more widely respected is Houdini. It's up to you. Go mainstream and play it safe, or specialize and hope there is a market for your skills.

On a personal note, if this is your first exposure to a 3D application, and your hopes are to get hired to use that application, then I recommend Maya. I don't know of many 3D animation studios that would hire a junior Houdini artist to work on anything challenging. You need to have some experience working in the 3D industry to solve the kinds of problems Houdini is required for. So Maya might be a good starting point for you, and then learn Houdini on the side. You're more likely to get a break as a junior Maya artist, then anything with Houdini. But, with that said. Most Houdini artists are experience and expensive. Maybe there is a market for less experienced Houdini artists to do odd jobs.

I have no clue. I'm self employed :)