*noob* How to cap a clipped sphere.

hopbin9

Ok, this always happens to me. I struggle and struggle to solve the problem, get frustrated, put the question here and as soon as I do that. I figured it out.

So if I use PolyCap it works, but it needs the edges.

Is there a way to pass PolyCap the clipped edges, because this is for an Asset with parameters to change it's shape. So the edge counts will always be changing.

An alternative that doesn't rely on having to manually group any components is to use the Divide SOP set to Remove Shared Edges. This will give you a cap like surface that you can fuse to the clipped geometry and use. It also gives your a bit more freedom if you need to do additional operations to the cap.

• Like 1

An alternative that doesn't rely on having to manually group any components is to use the Divide SOP set to Remove Shared Edges. This will give you a cap like surface that you can fuse to the clipped geometry and use. It also gives your a bit more freedom if you need to do additional operations to the cap.

Oh that is nice, and works much better on procedural objects.

Do you have a trick for creating a beveled edge on the sphere after it's been clipped and capped? I've been trying to figure out how to do this for a few days, without any luck.

I can manually select the edges and use PolyBevel, but I can't procedurally select those edges. :(

Thanks,

Do you have any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Create a Torus, apply a Clip, then use Divide. It'll create two capped pieces, but when clipped horizontally across the Torus it should produce a cap with a hole in. Instead two caps overlapping are created.

I thought about using Cookie to cut out the hole, but it doesn't seem to work on planner objects.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...