stamping problem on switch

hi there,

i m a bit new to houdini..

i m trying to copy a box with 3 colors on to a grid with variation in the three colors..

so i connected them to switch ..and stamped a variable..( color - rand($PT*3)) on to the switch..

i get only the first two r only two colors..

the third color is not appearing....

i had attached the file also..

kindly help me with this problem

cheers,

Ganesh l

copy.hipnc

Try this: rand($PT)*3, or this: fit01(rand($PT),0,2), or trunc(rand($PT)*3)

The reason is that you supplied a random number between 0-1 and the switch automatically rounds it to either 0 or 1.

rand($PT*3) will give you the same range as rand($PT) but with a different initial condition.

Edited by Macha

Try this: rand($PT)*3, or this: fit01(rand($PT),0,2), or trunc(rand($PT)*3)

The reason is that you supplied a random number between 0-1 and the switch automatically rounds it to either 0 or 1.

rand($PT*3) will give you the same range as rand($PT) but with a different initial condition.

thank u Macha...

it worked.

Be sure to go with the "trunc" example Macha provided - always be careful with rounding if you want even distributions, because unless you're using floor or trunc you're probably going to end up with uneven amounts on your first/last inputs:

Remember, if you're generating random values between 0 and 3, then twice as many of those values round to 1 and 2 as do to 0 and 3. ;)

thank u Macha...

it worked.

i have another problem..

In my asset i have grid where the user should be able to paint boxes on the grid as per his wish...........

i used group paint option and i m able to paint the boxes but how do i expose the painting option in asset so that user can paint the boxes