How to Make Curve Streamers?

jfrancis

Hi, new Houdini user here -

I'm interested in making curves by adding a short span to the end of an existing curve in the direction specified by a noise vector field so that I 'visualize' the noise with streamers flowing through it.

I don't want to create curves from moving particles because from time to time I want to instantly redefine my noise vector field, and I want the curves to instantly be redefined, rather than to flow and lag and respond slowly to the new field by animating into place as particles die and are born.

Any suggestions on a tutorial or node tree fragment that will let me iterate and build out a curve, say 500 small steps long, with each step in the direction of the vector field at the beginning of the step?

Ultimately I want a few thousand such curves, all built by wandering along the noise vectors.

Not sure I understand you, but could you emit particles from your curve, advect them with the field and then generate curves from them?

I'm going to have to look up advect to know what you mean, but I think I may be able to use this tutorial

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=949&Itemid=132

and emit the particles in one single impulse, stitch them into curves, and kill them in one frame later and repeat that process as the emission site moves through space.

Does this help? Little worms travelling through a noisefield.

I used a curl pop as a "fake" vector field.

If you want to advect with your own field, either use an attribute transfer pop, or -better I think but more trouble to set up- a volume velocity field (you can build it out of a point vector field) and an advect pop.

streamers.hip

post-4013-129793273684_thumb.jpg

Edited by Macha