Breaking plaster glued to a heavy wall

StephenW

I'm trying to fire 'bullets' at a wall that's covered in a thin layer of plaster that should come away far more easily than the wall underneath breaks.

I plan on eventually using the details in this (very hepful) post: as it suggests using metaball magnet forces to place 'charges' on the wall instead of actually firing at it. For now though I'm just keeping it simple and lobbing a box at the wall.

That's working fine, but since I want a two-layer breakable object, I figured I'd glue the two objects together. That works until the fractures start happening. It seems that the plaster box becomes unglued *before* it gets fractured, when what I want is for the fractures to happen first and only those nearer the impact point to fall off the wall leaving the rest intact.

Attached are two files, the first with a really simple auto-fracture setup doing what's described in the paragraph above, and another where I've pre-fractured the wall prior to making it breakable to try and get only the affected pieces to fall off. That doesn't really seem to do anything when close to the static wall. If I move it further away, it fractures properly, but obviously is not glued to the larger wall.

Any help's much appreciated.

(While I'm here - Does anyone know a good way to do nice radial fracturing (bullet through glass type thing) rather than the starburst type fracturing that voronoi seems to default to?)

Stephen

firing_at_wall1.hipnc

firing_at_wall4.hipnc