recreating maya particle system in houdini

joelgvfx

Hey all.

I'm a maya user who has slowly been getting into houdini, and I've finally come across a scene which I don't think can be accomplished by maya. So, I'm looking for a bit of help in recreating my scene in houdini. The maya particle system involves a fair bit of per-particle coding, and I'm not sure how to achieve this in houdini.

Here's the scene run-down:

a) I have a dynamic curve (maya hair curve) and it is undulating with turbulence. - fairly sure I can work this out on my own .

I am animating a particle emitter along a curve - this I can do.

c) The particles emitted are 'goaled' to the closest point on the curve - Not sure how to recreate this? A creep pop perhaps?

d) The strength of the 'goaling' is relative to the particles distance from the curve when it comes to rest (ie the particles which come to rest close to the curve are goaled more strongly than the ones which come to rest further away. - No idea how to achieve this in houdini.

e) Small clumps of particles have curves joining the particles together (like a molecule) - I couldn't achieve this in maya, which is why I'm switching over to houdini. I believe I need to use an "Add" sop with particle grouping?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

I thought it would probably be more helpful if I uploaded a playblast of what I'm trying to achieve.

Surging particles(12:50 Sydney time: Vimeo currently queued for convertion... will take another 25mins before available)

In addition, I need lines to be dynamically drawn between some of the particle making clumps of "molecule-like" structures.

I think your test scene may give me some clue about the curve goaling, but any further elaboration would be appreciated!

cheers

Your flipbook (playblast, what's that...) certainly does show what you want.

I attached a hip file that uses an Attribute Transfer POP picking up a custom velocity vector from the original animated curve to drive the particles. There is a VOP in there to mix in the custom velocity in to the particles.

Hopefully this will give you quite a few ideas as to how to take this way further.

dynamic_curve_goal_force.hip