De-clumping of particles

Strife

Hi, I was testing some stuff using metaball as attractor to attract particles to simulate movement. However, the metaball attracts a huge number of particle with it causing a clump which was not what I want. How can I de-clump or spread the particles more open?

metaballattractor-1.jpg

clump.jpg

Not really sure what you are trying to do but try oversampling (on popnet node) and setting any $F in any expressions to $FF

Constant emission can also cause this sometimes.

Edited by Macha

Also, what was the behaviour you are looking for? The technique you are using is giving you "the correct" result. Metaballs will attract or push away toward or from a point.

The easiest way to get more interesting motion is by using a curl noise in a voppop, but if you really want to use metaballs you could emit more of them with larger radius, but lower strength, vary the weight on a per metaball basis and consider giving some of inverted scale for pushing instead of attraction.

Spreading the points more open is getting into interactpop territory which is 1) slow and 2) better handled with pointclouds in dops (so you can use the op:"path_to_pointcloud" expression), Jeff must have posted a file on that. Gets more into flocking and fuzzy logic territory to keep the points apart. And that gets you closer to flip fluids.

Easiest: interact pop

Best (imo): dops particles with pointclouds.