Help Me I Have A Few Questions

How do you apply a texture that has alpha? I want to texture the earphone speaker or that material that covers the speaker which usually has holes.

How do you layer Textures? H11 is changed from other version, is there a layer node? I don't know what to do with the layer sop. It doesn't look like what i need.

How do you extrude a polygon/primitive along a curve. I'm coming from Softimage and this tool is very useful , is there something like that in H11? I tried the Extrude sop and plugged the curve in the cross section but it gives me weird results.

Thanks for Help.

- Disclaimer: I rarely use out of the box shaders so...

1 - Use a color map vop in the shader set to RGBA mode, the alpha comes through the 4th float variable. See attached hip.

2 - I think there used to be a Vex Layered material, that seems to be gone. I would suggest either baking your multiple textures out into a single texture, creating a surface shader that addresses your needs, or even using COPs to bring in and layer your textures before using them in a shader.

3 - Do you mean sweeping a cross section along a curve? Perhaps the Sweep SOP may be of use here? Also, look at polyExtrude SOP just in case.

GW

Edited by GallenWolf

- Disclaimer: I rarely use out of the box shaders so...

1 - Use a color map vop in the shader set to RGBA mode, the alpha comes through the 4th float variable. See attached hip.

2 - I think there used to be a Vex Layered material, that seems to be gone. I would suggest either baking your multiple textures out into a single texture, creating a surface shader that addresses your needs, or even using COPs to bring in and layer your textures before using them in a shader.

3 - Do you mean sweeping a cross section along a curve? Perhaps the Sweep SOP may be of use here? Also, look at polyExtrude SOP just in case.

GW

I did like this (see pic)but It just won't use alpha. I spent like the entire day today working on this , I tried different combination of nodes but still won't see alpha. It sees the texture. I have a texture which basically has transparent holes(alpha png) and I can make it so the surface color of the object that is applied shows on the holes. Like if I change the color to red .. the holes become red (like a layer), and when I try to make the color transparent it just won't work... It almost seems like alpha is disabled :(. I also have another grid in the back So I can see if the alpha works.

Also thanks a lot cpb that works great .

post-5904-130817490596_thumb.jpg

Edited by divi