Cutting out a shape from a grid?

Adam Ferestad

I am trying to build a tree distribution that will distribute my tree objects around a predefined road. My current methodology is to cut up a grid object in some way, then scatter points to that grid and finally to copy the trees to those points. I am trying to get it so I am able to do this all procedurally, but it seems to be arguing with me. I have the tree side of the project finished, but I can't seem to get the road cut outs to work. I'm trying to use a project then trim out the inside, but I can't get the shapes I want. The file I'm attaching is an attempt to get a 90 degree turn cut out. I have tried several ways, and this is the one that gives me the shape I want/need. I need a bezier curve between the two polygon ends... because I need exact start and end points on the edges of the grid, and they have to be exact. I am trying to make tiles that I can line up with each other and not have any issues with seams. I have tried several other ways, but from what I can tell, the best/only method that will work for this is to project onto the grid. It seems kinda temperamental to me. If anyone has a better way of doing what I am trying to accomplish, I am all ears(err... eyes I guess online).

roadAttempt1.hipnc

The method you used for your alternative with the delete SOP works beautifully, thank you so much. Now I just have to figure out how to make a flat representation of the line to work at the road itself. I though that a Copy SOP would do the trick, but it doesn't seem to work. I think I saw something on the SideFX site that might give me what I need, so I'll go there. If anyone has a way to make a planar surface that follows the path of a curve with a set distance away from said curve, I am all ears. I will let you all know if what I find on the SideFX site works.

Thanks again so much Sam.

OK, I got it working with a Sweep SOP. Thanks again for your help guys... this is turning out exactly as I want it. Isn't it great when that happens.

Edited by Adam Ferestad