Simple Path Finding Problem

Hi,

I want to create a simple effect where small spheres move along the edges of a grid. They move from one vertex to the other, and can only change direction when they've reached a vertex. They also shouldn't double back to the vertex they just originated from, but they are allowed to visit a vertex more then once.

I don't really care if the spheres collide with each other, as I'm only going to use a few and will change the random seed so that they don't appear to collide in camera view.

I'm stuck on how to do this. My thought was to create a attribute for each vertex, and then use a ForEach to assign a vertex order for the path of a single sphere (only of vertexes it would follow), then delete the other vertexes it didn't arrive at. I would then use the Sort SOP to put everything in the right order, and then use the Path Follow.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I couldn't get it work.

This really seems like a POP problem to me, but I have no idea how to get started on it. Anyone have any tips on doing something like this?

yea, I'm surprised Macha hasn't replied. I would have thought he'd find this problem interesting ;)

I did come up with something using POPs, but my approach was very simple. I basically redirect particles LEFT or RIGHT at regular intervals, but adjusting the timing I can make it look like they are following the edges on a grid.

While this approach works fine for a square grid pattern, an object made up of irregular edge lengths wouldn't work. I'll run some more tests with what I have and see if a square grid pattern gives me the effect I'm going for.

I'm sharing the HIP file if anyone is interested.

My next step is to apply a gradient to the lines so they look more like paths of energy.

setup-path-finding.hip

yea, I'm surprised Macha hasn't replied. I would have thought he'd find this problem interesting

Ah, well that's because Macha is a little busy recently and his home laptop doesn't like Houdini.

If I was to do this I'd perhaps get those points into Python and search through paths there by selecting from nearest neighbors. You add each step into a list and then at the end you use the list to reconstruct a curve from it and use that to animate.

There are some libraries out there that do this automatically and very efficiently but I can't remember what its called.

Recently though I have seen ways to do such things with matrices, and it is very clever and interesting but I haven't really had the opprtunity to play with it. If we could use arbritrary n*m matrices in vex then that would be great. In the meantime I think numpy is the best choice for that.

Edited by Macha

I'm actually getting ready to work on a pathfinding AI for a strategy game that I'm working on with some friends. Should turn out pretty good. I will star this thread and I will share what I can of the code with you if you like. It is going to work similarly to what you are looking for, but I think it will end up being in JS. Not sure how portable that is to Python.