A question on an expression, and one about caching sims

Hi,

I've been experimenting and following some tutorials and have 2 questions.

The first relates to this expression:

fit01(rand($OBJID),.1,.7)

This is used in a tutorial to assign a value to a randomly chosen OBJID. I would then generate another random value which would be the value assigned to the OBJID, so for example OBJ 1 would get a value of .3, OBJ2 a value of .6 and so on. But when I paste it in different channels, the same value is displayed in each one. I don't understand expressions well so am probably missing something obvious.

My second question relates to caching sims using a file node inside a DOP. Inside a DOP I have a small flow that ends with a rbdsolver. I have tried to connect this to a file node and set the mode to write, but no files are written when I run the sim.

Any help appreciated,

thanks,

g

The argument for the rand() function is the seed, if you give it the same seed, you get get the same 'random' number back. So just offset each seed: rand($OBJID + 2.54), rand($OBJID + 2.54) etc. etc.

Don't know about the file node in DOPs sorry, I just do it in SOPs ...

Hi,

I've been experimenting and following some tutorials and have 2 questions.

The first relates to this expression:

fit01(rand($OBJID),.1,.7)

This is used in a tutorial to assign a value to a randomly chosen OBJID. I would then generate another random value which would be the value assigned to the OBJID, so for example OBJ 1 would get a value of .3, OBJ2 a value of .6 and so on. But when I paste it in different channels, the same value is displayed in each one. I don't understand expressions well so am probably missing something obvious.

My second question relates to caching sims using a file node inside a DOP. Inside a DOP I have a small flow that ends with a rbdsolver. I have tried to connect this to a file node and set the mode to write, but no files are written when I run the sim.

Any help appreciated,

thanks,

g

What did you set the file name to? It has to be something like "$SF" for simulation frame, or "$ST" for simulation time (for timewarping, scale, etc).

Filename I use is "cache.$SF.sim". Works everytime, both on the DOP explicit cache filename, and inside the DOP itself with a "file" node.

Thanks for the explanations. The use of the random variable makes more sense to me now. As for the file node, I have re-created my scene from scratch and it works now. I'm not sure what I was overlooking before or what I had set up wrong but it's working now.

thanks for replying,

gubar