Autorig-Tools

Hi all,

Simple question, how do you add extra bones to a quadruped autorig ? As I have tried using bones but they seem to dissapear when linking to the head bone. Im after creating a simple set of ears.

Thanks

You should be able to add bones by merely unlocking the head and neck asset inside your animation rig and attaching them to whatever you'd like. You'll have to build parameter controls yourself, as well as any deform setup as well.

You should be able to add bones by merely unlocking the head and neck asset inside your animation rig and attaching them to whatever you'd like. You'll have to build parameter controls yourself, as well as any deform setup as well.

Hi,

I have linked them up inside the head and neck asset but guess the problem im facing is how to link these to the animation and deform rigs.

Thanks for the reply

Rigging.hipnc

Hi,

I have linked them up inside the head and neck asset but guess the problem im facing is how to link these to the animation and deform rigs.

Thanks for the reply

Hi all,

Quick update tried to link separate parts with the autorig tools, followed by using the create autorig button but its still falling apart ? Does anyone know where im going wrong ? All im after is bones for the ears which I tried adding within the initial auto rig but couldn't figure out how to link them to the animation and deform rig ?

Thanks

Autorig_Parts_Problems.hipnc

The system doesn't work that way. It is all based on body part assets which have scripts that are called by the rig tools to help generate and setup the animation and deform parts. Adding in some random things to an autorig will not do anything once you start pressing buttons.

There are two ways to do what you want:

The first is by far the easiest. Once you've created and setup your standard autorig, you then need to create the animation and deform rigs. You shouldn't do anything regarding ears before that. Once you've generated the rigs you can then go into your animation rig and add in bones for your ears. You then need to add in corresponding deformation things to the deform rig. You also have to manually configure and promote all the parameters yourself.

The other option is to create something like a series of auto_rig_ears assets: one for each of the auto, animation and deform rig types. You then have to create a scripting setup along the same lines as other parts so Houdini will know what to do with these pieces. There's a script in $HH/python2.xlibs/autorig that you can run against these assets to ensure they will play nice. This is by far the more complicated route however.

The system doesn't work that way. It is all based on body part assets which have scripts that are called by the rig tools to help generate and setup the animation and deform parts. Adding in some random things to an autorig will not do anything once you start pressing buttons.

There are two ways to do what you want:

The first is by far the easiest. Once you've created and setup your standard autorig, you then need to create the animation and deform rigs. You shouldn't do anything regarding ears before that. Once you've generated the rigs you can then go into your animation rig and add in bones for your ears. You then need to add in corresponding deformation things to the deform rig. You also have to manually configure and promote all the parameters yourself.

The other option is to create something like a series of auto_rig_ears assets: one for each of the auto, animation and deform rig types. You then have to create a scripting setup along the same lines as other parts so Houdini will know what to do with these pieces. There's a script in $HH/python2.xlibs/autorig that you can run against these assets to ensure they will play nice. This is by far the more complicated route however.

Thank you for the reply as im seriously behind trying to figure out the rigging process in houdini.

I have linked the ears in the animation rig and im guessing that the reason it wont work on the initial rig is due to the scripts setup you mentioned.

Can i ask what do you mean by corresponding deformation things to the deform rig ? Capture weights ?

And i guess by promoting parameters you mean you mean the translate/rotate/scales.

Thanks In Advance

Yes, you need to take care of adding the bones to the capture setup and promoting the necessary parameters so you can animate.

Wondering would you have an example of how where the capture needs to be placed ?

Thanks