Deforming a surface

Xsiv

I have a flying object which is crash landing. I want to create a deformed surface as the object comes in contact with the ground.

I believe that I have things almost setup correctly. I am getting only a small deformation. I want a larger deformation and not sure why I am not getting one.

The scene is on the HUGE scale.

Can anyone tell me why the ground does not have a divot the size of the sphere that is below the $ty of the ground grid?

Thank you

Chris

DeformationSurface.hip

Selection HELP! Please.

Something was wrong with the previous scene, I think.

I started over and all worked great! So, if I can do the divot, the next step is to displace the geometry infront of the donut upwards. (See attached file)

I took the attributeTransfer example that is located in the forum and added a trough that the donut leaves behind. I also colored it in.

I am thinking that if I could select the outer edge of color, then use the surface normals * mulitpler and increase the height of the edging around the donut as it rolls along. I think that selecting the edge would be easy. But for the life of me I cannot figure it out.

The other method I was thinking was checking each point that is moved and some how select the points that are not around the ones that are to make the selection.

If anyone can help me make the selection or offer advice of creating a "front" brim infront of the donut as it rolls along, that'd be great!

Chris

Donut_sopsolver_attribtransfer_deforming.hipnc

Selection of points via color - promote from points to primitive - make a soft selection - promote back from primitives to points... works.

It seems kinda clunky, but almost does what I want. I have distorted the geometry around the rolling donut. I want to leave a trail though. As I am using black as a base, and it seems to over writting where I have been, I need to some how create 2 groups to operate on, I think. 1 group that has not been affected and 1 that has.

Any ideas?

Take a look at the rolling donut that displaces where it is, but doesn't leave a trail.

Thanks

Chris

Donut_sopsolver_dark_deformingNorm.hipnc