Problem in continuing the previous pyro simulation

junyd

Hi all,

Due to sudden pc restarts i cannot render all frames of upres pyro simulation data (export to file, upres field). every time i come back to houdini and defines the start frame( from where it was ended the last rendering ) houdini just stays at the particular frame and keeps on writing caches in the temp dir but doesnt go further even a single frame ahead to continue writing the upres sim.

anyone know how to restart (continue) the sim from where it was abruptly ended.

thanks

Edited by junyd

i already cached low res without writing explicit cache. now i am writing upres with explicit cache checked. do i need to simulate low res again with the explicit cache on me or am i ok writing up res now?

another thing, after defining explicit cache path do you sim through the re cook simulate button or do you go back to upres and just hit render from there?

although, i tried clicking re cook button but it doesnt work.

thanks

i already cached low res without writing explicit cache. now i am writing upres with explicit cache checked. do i need to simulate low res again with the explicit cache on me or am i ok writing up res now?

you are ok writing upres

another thing, after defining explicit cache path do you sim through the re cook simulate button or do you go back to upres and just hit render from there?

although, i tried clicking re cook button but it doesnt work.

neither - you have to manually delete explicit cache and then probably clicking re cook button

in case with pyro solver (low / up res sims) you actually have 2 simulations so with explicit cache enabled you would:

write out low res sim

delete explicit cache

switch to up res

write out up res

Owl

thanks for the quick reply. i am getting there. although, the only problem i am getting now is the blue screen and the windows getting restart in the middle of sim. maybe thats something has to do with my hyper over clocked processor or it is the ssd drive

thanks for the reply.

I have changed the overclock settings a little bit so now i dont get the blue at all. the strange thing is, this whole up res simulation with the gas resize tool is taking so long to sim. right now i am only able to sim 187 frames in 15 hours. i dont have huge divisions its just 260 divs for the up res and still its taking forever. do you know if this is how it works with the gas resize tool? or am i doing something wrong here. also, when i first simulated maybe 100 frames or so i noticed my up res grid size(container size) was not matching with the low res grid size( container size) and one of that reason the top portion of the upres smoke was cutting off. i tried checking the settings of the sop solver and everything and it was ok; then i changed the voxels parameters in the gas upres to something like 10,10,10. maybe these voxels are causing the long sim??

i am attaching the file so that you can take a look at it.

thanks

fire_stacks_v03.hip

... i dont have huge divisions its just 260 divs for the up res and still its taking forever...

no, you do have huge container, i simmed low res to frame 100 and it already is 168x268x270(12156480 voxels) and i assume it gets bigger and bigger...

with resize you asign a initial fluid box size and define voxel size, if sim bounds expand - you add voxels (voxel size remain the same)

try setting "cache memory" higher(assuming you have more than 4 gb of ram :) ) - houdini start caching to drive when it hits this limit and slows down alot.

also, when i first simulated maybe 100 frames or so i noticed my up res grid size(container size) was not matching with the low res grid size( container size) and one of that reason the top portion of the upres smoke was cutting off. i tried checking the settings of the sop solver and everything and it was ok; then i changed the voxels parameters in the gas upres to something like 10,10,10. maybe these voxels are causing the long sim??

can you show screens with mismatch? they dont have to be identical, but it shouldn't cut off your smoke. Voxel params in upres resize are extra voxels added to your container to avoid fluid hitting a wall between frames.

no, you do have huge container, i simmed low res to frame 100 and it already is 168x268x270(12156480 voxels) and i assume it gets bigger and bigger...

with resize you asign a initial fluid box size and define voxel size, if sim bounds expand - you add voxels (voxel size remain the same)

try setting "cache memory" higher(assuming you have more than 4 gb of ram :) ) - houdini start caching to drive when it hits this limit and slows down alot.

you meant i should go with lower divisions( both low and upres) this time? maybe 100 or so with low and 180 with upres. i got 16 gigs; do you think i should say at least 10000 in cache memory?

can you show screens with mismatch? they dont have to be identical, but it shouldn't cut off your smoke. Voxel params in upres resize are extra voxels added to your container to avoid fluid hitting a wall between frames.

i rendered out 173 frames in 18 hours and its shows the smoke didnt collide with the container at all. assuming the voxel params worked out.i am gonna re sim everything with the low divs; will let you know the updates on it.

thanks a lot for the kind help : )

post-6859-131607656166_thumb.jpg

Edited by junyd