Particle Crowd - some questions

dragon7

Ok, the idea is to have an army of - let's just call them dragons for the moment - running and avoiding a hill.

I'm using a particle system with follow and the copy-node.

Now I want:

-to hide the leader-particle

-the speed of the animation to adjust to particle speed

-the orientation of the dragons adjust to the direction they are moving in

How can I do that?

Ok, the idea is to have an army of - let's just call them dragons for the moment - running and avoiding a hill.

I'm using a particle system with follow and the copy-node.

Now I want:

-to hide the leader-particle

-the speed of the animation to adjust to particle speed

-the orientation of the dragons adjust to the direction they are moving in

How can I do that?

1. make a group for your leader, and in sop level delete it.

2. what node are you using to make your particles follow the leader? there's always some sort of setting in that node, + there are other ways depending on the method you're using.

3. The orientation is based on upvector, and normal IF you don't have those nodes in your pop network, your particles speed is used for orientation.

BUT I don't know how you want to copy your running dragons to your particles,are the animated?

Edited by ehsan parizi

1. Thanks :)

2. I'm using the follow-node in the pop-net.

The dragons are animated - I want the runcycle to speed up/slow down depending on how fast the particle is moving.

3. I'm afraid I don't understand...

1. you're welcome

2. Do you have different walking cycles for different speed?

3. watch this :peter quint's tutorial on particles

3. This is so easy I can't believe I didn't think of it myself... -.-

Which leaves me with problem no 2...

I think you'll need different walk cycles for different speed, all should be the same number of frames. and then use blend shape(if I'm not mistaken) to blend between different cycles based in velocity.

From the top of my head, for different speeds, what about copy-stamping with the stamp expression on a TimeWarp node? That way you would get different speeds for different copies. After that, you just need to make that stamp variable depend on the velocity attribute of the particles...

From the top of my head, for different speeds, what about copy-stamping with the stamp expression on a TimeWarp node? That way you would get different speeds for different copies. After that, you just need to make that stamp variable depend on the velocity attribute of the particles...

The problem with using 1 walk cycle, is that it doesn't look good when you change the speed with timewarp, specially if they walk too fast or run it'll look fake. But if you don't have different animations and your crowds speed is not changing a lot, a timewarp may work just fine. Don't forget to use the TimeBlend node before TimeWarp ;)

Edited by ehsan parizi