Squishy Object questions

asnowcappedromance

Hey guys!

I'm working on a shot right now where I'm supposed to make an animated object look like jello.

I started trying to create the motion with the spring SOP, couldn't get the desired results, found the Softbody POP

really nice to control but too unstable (dealing with complex geometry), also it only reads the geometry when the node

is first activated so animated geo doesn't work with it - so I ended up playing around with the Squishy Object DOP.

Now my questions:

Is it possible to control the particles that are created by the Squishy Object?

In the sample scene that I added there are 2 groups to be found:

gravity_group >> I want those points/particles to be affected by a multiplied gravity force

static_group >> Those points should be stationary, or not jello-like (in the spring SOP or Softbody POP there's the option to chose fixed points, is that possible in DOPs somehow?)

Or if that doesn't work with the Squishy Object, any advice on how to make the Softbody Pop more stable?

Thanks for any tips, have a look at my sample scene!

regards,

Manu

Squishy_Object_Animated_v02.hip

Edited by asnowcappedromance

Hey guys!

I'm working on a shot right now where I'm supposed to make an animated object look like jello.

I started trying to create the motion with the spring SOP, couldn't get the desired results, found the Softbody POP

really nice to control but too unstable (dealing with complex geometry), also it only reads the geometry when the node

is first activated so animated geo doesn't work with it - so I ended up playing around with the Squishy Object DOP.

Now my questions:

Is it possible to control the particles that are created by the Squishy Object?

In the sample scene that I added there are 2 groups to be found:

gravity_group >> I want those points/particles to be affected by a multiplied gravity force

static_group >> Those points should be stationary, or not jello-like (in the spring SOP or Softbody POP there's the option to chose fixed points, is that possible in DOPs somehow?)

Or if that doesn't work with the Squishy Object, any advice on how to make the Softbody Pop more stable?

Thanks for any tips, have a look at my sample scene!

regards,

Manu

I would try the Wire Solver / Wire Object for the geo instead. You can create an attribute called 'pintoanimation' which will keep the points in your static group still while allowing the rest of the geo to be 'jelloy'.

sounds like a good idea, how do I constrain the geometry to the wires though?

(That is if I want to create the wire lines myself to have full control over attributes and attach the geometry before

I feed that into dops)

Just use the shelf tool. ;) It will take your object's geo and make it a wire object in dops. You use the same geo in both places essentially. The shelf tool will also put down a dop import to transform the points based on the wire sim from dops.