activate spring sop over time

asnowcappedromance

hi,

I'm trying to create a peeling effect (cloth like behavior). I don't want to use cloth because I'm dealing with heavy geometry, so I thought spring SOP is the way to go. Now the problem I have is the Spring SOP is doing a one time simulation, so feeding in groups that get activated over time doesn't work.

If you fire up my example you'll immediately see what my problem is.

Is there a workflow to work around that?

Also, is there a way of telling group objects to stay in the group once they entered it? (like in pops)

thanks for helping me out there,

Manuel

activate_over_time_spring.hipnc

the other problem is that the spring SOP does one overall simulation for the whole geometry instead of acting seperately

for each primitive group. So if the spring SOP starts at Frame 0 all the groups would be immediately being affected by the turb and wind forces.

If you playback my samplefile you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm thinking about bringing each primitive group into it's own SOP context to treat every piece seperately, but it's a hell of a hack and

I would have to know the frame on which they enter the red group, which is almost impossible with SOPs (onentergroup in Thinking Particles is soo useful).

Any ideas?

yeah, I know about how to do it in POPs, but if you're creating groups in SOP context it's not possible ...

Ian, lunch, soon!

Yeah, that stuff is doable with the sop solver. Sop solver kind of mixes dops and sops together, allowing the sop stuff to be history dependent (thought not nearly as easily as pops).

Yeah, lunch next week -- for real this time.

--Ian

Edit: Added a super basic example file of the sop solver.

SopSolver_FrameStamp.hipnc

Edited by Solitude

Yeah, that stuff is doable with the sop solver. Sop solver kind of mixes dops and sops together, allowing the sop stuff to be history dependent (thought not nearly as easily as pops).

Yeah, lunch next week -- for real this time.

--Ian

Edit: Added a super basic example file of the sop solver.

That's a good workflow !

PM me your email though, I'm going to show you how to do it only with one node in SOPs :)