vortex confinement mapped onto temp

loudsubs

Hi, Im using a pyro solver to make a dust effect and I want to control the smoke's vortex confinement using its temperature. Basically I want the smoke to initially have a lot of swirl (when its hot), then fade off as it cools off.

Im not sure if Im setting this up correctly, right now I have a shelf made billowy smoke setup. I have an apply data node under my pyro solver with a gas ramp plugged into that.

destination field: confinement

source: temperature

Should the gas ramp be plugged into the pyro solver? Where does the diffusion stage fit in with the velocity and advection stages?

Anyone have advice on this DOPs goodness? Thanks

If you want to adjust any of the fields in the solver, you should use one of three green inputs in to the Pyro Solver DOP. The Left green input is for velocity adjustment prior to any advection, the middle green input is for advected fields and the right input is for modifying any of the results.

If you wire your gas ramp in to the right most green input, it should work.

You can also use the Gas Field VOP to reshape any fields to your liking. Have a look at the attached file where the temperature field is modifying the confinement field using VOPs inside a Gas Field VOP.

Note: If you open up the details view and inspect all the fields on a smoke object that is being modified by a Pyro/Smoke solver, you can read and write to any of these fields inside the Gas Field VOP. Just make sure to match name and type correctly (float vs vector).

confinement_driven_by_temperature.hip