Particles inter collision

jaydini

Hello,

My goal is to pile up particles on a geometry. Is there a way to do that with just particles? Right now, I can only think of "fake" solutions such as emitting on the geometry using collision events instead but particles would end up on on the same place.

Thank you

Hello,

My goal is to pile up particles on a geometry. Is there a way to do that with just particles? Right now, I can only think of "fake" solutions such as emitting on the geometry using collision events instead but particles would end up on on the same place.

Thank you

Jeff's reply to the following post helped me alot in understanding the complexity involved.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=99255&sid=b9730935d4559e8910406e48a80e5163

Cheers!!

That's really interesting vector blur but I think the discussions in that thread is more complex than what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm looking for a solution that allows particle to stack/pile up. Unlike sand, particles doesn't need to slide down and interact with the pile. I only it to stick on the ground and pile/stick on top of one another with no interaction to the piled particles.

Thank you. I apologize if my description is a mess.

That's really interesting vector blur but I think the discussions in that thread is more complex than what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm looking for a solution that allows particle to stack/pile up. Unlike sand, particles doesn't need to slide down and interact with the pile. I only it to stick on the ground and pile/stick on top of one another with no interaction to the piled particles.

In that case you may get away with simply animating a plane moving up which will act as a collision geo. Distance covered in each frame by the plane should be depending on the stamped geometry size.

Set the collision hint to "Translating geometry" and collision behavior to "stop on collision"

Cheers!!

I would use a sopsolver with pointclouds in vops.

Very similar to an aggregation technique (you might want to search for that in this forum too).

You have two groups of points, active and passive.

The active ones are displaced/animated however you want, and they are looking for the passive points in close proximity. If they have found a passive point nearby, they switch states and become passive. The passive points don't do anything. Potentially you could consider removing passive points that are completely surrounded by other passive points from the simulation to speed up. This way you would have an evolving and growing collision contour.

You use pointclouds for the collision detection. You search for points within 1.5Xthe radius of the point and you return the closest point if there is one found. Then get the vector and "snap it against" that point. In order for this to work with fast moving points you will need some substepping. You could build in your own collision check to see if there are points within 5x radius and start substepping yourself only on those points that have detected neighbours within 5xradius.

• 1 month later...

Something like this?

Edited by rpr