Particles to live

jsells20

Particle smoke blend to live action actor...

I've seen it used a lot and at it's best in Harry Potter.

My question is, what's the best way to go about doing this?

-Geometry to particles is pretty straightforward, except I don't see how you keep the original geometry shape before it turns into particles. For example, I can get a box filled with particles then have it blow but the particles filled in place at frame 1 of the geometry is not solid. It's a volume filled with particles.

-Particles to a live action actor, I'm not sure. I would imagine you do a similar transition with a proxy actor, then blend in post but how? I'm sure it's simple to do, but how do you reverse it having the smoke turn into a solid without reversing it in post?

Are there any good resources for doing the basic geometry blend to particles or the transition with live action?

Attached is a clip from Once Upon a Time with the effect being used. Also attached is an example file of a box blowing away.

onceuponatime.mov

geotoparticles.hip

Edited by jsells20

Could you not use an "attractor POP" to make the character effectively a goal object? Whenever you want the particles to reform around him set the activation to that frame? I would recommend using a proxy volume of the character to speed up sim time however.