POP fields Area of Effect and Falloff...

Nik S

Hi there,

So, say I have a POP net with 50K static particles (on a roof) and a dude jumps through the roof and I want the particles to be effected by a curl noise only in the general area the guy penetrates the roof. What I would do is use a group pop with bounding enabled (sphere) and have the curl noise only affect that group.

This is all well and good, however, if I wanted to add a falloff (curve?) to the amplitude of the curl noise based on a certain distance from the center of the bounding sphere, how would I do that? Example would be at the center of the bounding sphere I'd want the amplitude to be 1 then at 50% from the center it would be 0.8, then at the edge of the bounding sphere it would be 0.1.

Ideas?

Attached is an example Image visually describing what I'm after:

post-6953-132035378682_thumb.png

not a good solution, but maybe gives some ideas to start! I think there should be a way to do it inside the curlnoise's vop network. couldn't figure it out though.

Heey now, that's not bad...

I don't know if its possible, but what about using a ramp in the curl noises voppop that modifies the amplitude (or any other attribute for that matter) based on a measure of the length from the center to the edge of the bounding sphere?

what about using a ramp in the curl noises voppop that modifies the amplitude (or any other attribute for that matter) based on a measure of the length from the center to the edge of the bounding sphere?

Well, that's what I wanted to do first, but couldn't figure out how to get the position of the sphere in my popnet! or VOP!

ok, on this one, it's actually happening inside your curl noise. if you go inside the vop pop inside the curl noise you can see all the nodes that I've added in red. Basically It's getting the center of the sphere as a point and then calculates the distance of every point from that point, reverse it, and multiply it by the result of the original curl noise.

curlnoise_falloff_v02.hipnc

Sweet! Thanks.

I am going to work on an OTL that will let you input a channel into a field then be able to control that channel with a falloff ramp based on a measure of the bounding object. Perhaps use a sphere to control the size of a bounding sphere then measure distance from reversed surface normals to the center...

The only hitch I can see with said OTL is that I will only be able to do this per force object as I will need to modify that nodes voppop, ie. I'd have to make a superCurlNoise, superForce, superWind etc...

Any more tips would be greatly appreciated. And again, thank you ehsan, your setup gives me a great starting point.