Aim the normal at a point?

mennalur

Hi everyone!

I've been working on this building and i want to rotate the building. It should be facing the middle of the "yard" (space between the walls)

Capture01.jpg

I am now trying to point the normals to the middle but this doesnt workout the way i would like to.

Capture.jpg

the normal is pointing at the Given location as long as the point is on global 0,0,0. But when i move the point around the normal doesn't seem to adjust itself.

At the right point in space. The normal does not adjust itself:

Capture02.jpg

At zero 0,0,0.:

Capture03.jpg

Don't reference a point from a SOP in another object from inside another object. I just don't think that's a good practice. Likely, Houdini isn't cooking the node when null10 moves cause it doesn't know there is a reference.

You should use ObjectMerge to bring the point from Null10 into the current SOP, and then reference the point from the ObjectMerge SOP.

Once you've used ObjectMerge, and you've told it to translate the geometry into the current object space. Then the imported point will be your normal. You just need to normalize it.